Download our COSHH Assessment Template
In the UK, COSHH stands for ‘Control of Substances Hazardous to Health’.
Under the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002, employers need to either prevent or reduce their workers’ exposure to substances that are hazardous to their health.
Why do you need a COSHH Assessment Template?
In the UK, ‘COSHH’ is the law that requires employers to control substances that are hazardous to health. You can prevent or reduce workers exposure to hazardous substances by:
- finding out what the health hazards are;
- deciding how to prevent harm to health (risk assessment);
- providing control measures to reduce harm to health;
- making sure they are used;
- keeping all control measures in good working order;
- providing information, instruction and training for employees and others;
- providing monitoring and health surveillance in appropriate cases;
- planning for emergencies.
Do your operations fall under COSHH Regulations?
Most businesses use substances, or products that are mixtures of substances.
Some processes actually create substances! Any of these could potentially cause harm to employees, contractors and other people. Often harmful substances are easily recognised, but there are many that are not so obvious.
Commonly used substances such as paint, bleach or dust from natural materials may also be very harmful to health.
As an employer, it pays to understand the risks related to the use of hazardous substances and the interactions between them.
To learn more about using your COSHH Assessment Template, check out our What is COSHH? blog post.